Racing officially began in 1885 and with the exception of a 12 year period from 1936 – 1948 has continued ever since.

Racing has gone from one meeting per year to now nine meetings per year held from mid May to late September/early October.

The course is right-handed, of one mile and two furlongs in length with a marked incline to the winning post.